Holi celebrated with gusto in Mumbai
Mumbai: Mumbai city and suburbs erupted in colours as thousands poured out of houses and building complexes from early Wednesday to play Rang Panchami.
Excited youngsters grabbed an early start in the celebrations, followed by youths and the elders who joined in later.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Mumai Police urged people to play a safe holi.
Keeping in mind concerns over water wastage, large crowds of Mumbaikars and people in Thane moved to the coastal areas and played holi on beaches.
Film and television stars have also appealed to people to celebrate a safe holi without using dangerous colours.
Police have warned that anybody caught throwing liquid filled balloons will be jailed for 15 days.
The BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation has threatened one year jail for those cutting trees to make bonfires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Just 1% of population pay taxes; over 5,000 paid more than Rs 1 crore
- 17 out of 30 sectors in negative zone in March in terms of exports
- Indiabulls Real Estate cuts debt by 16% to Rs 4,617 crore in FY16
- E-vehicle maker Clean Motion to invest $10 million in India
- Must watch VIDEO: This is possibly the best ever catch of IPL