Holi celebrations: RR Patil slams Asaram Bapu
Mumbai: Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil came down heavily on spiritual guru Asaram Bapu saying that wastage of water for pre-Holi celebrations was uncalled for.
“It was not right to waste water like this. Whatever happened was wrong,” RR Patil said while talking to a news channel on Tuesday. He added that the government will define its policy and will collect fine from the ashram.
The spiritual leader was criticised yesterday by the Opposition in Maharashtra Legislature as well for allegedly wasting water, even as the state is facing worst-ever drought in over four decades.
Congress MLC Sanjay Dutt raised the issue of the spiritual leader and his followers "wasting" water, at the event in Nagpur yesterday and said the water tankers for the event were supplied by the Nagpur Municipal Corporation.
"Asaram Bapu wasted lakhs of litres of water while celebrating Holi at the Kasturchand Park in Nagpur yesterday. This happened at a time when the entire Maharashtra is reeling under a severe drought," Dutt said, raising the issue through a point of propriety.
He sought action against those involved in the misuse of water.
The issue was also raised in the Assembly by MNS group leader Bala Nandgaonkar, who condemned the wastage of water when there is a severe drought the in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award
- Significance of why Lord Shiva wears tiger skin! Read more
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra rock 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions—Watch video!
- Rajnath Singh to head all-party delegation to Kashmir on September 4
- Could 3D printing save our coral reefs? - Watch