Horse carriages may have to be used if petrol price soars: HC
Mumbai: Looking at the increase in petrol prices, people may soon have to go back to commuting in horse carriages, the Bombay High Court on Tuesday observed, even as the Maharashtra government today filed a report before the Court regarding e-meters fitted in auto rickshaws.
"With the hike in petrol prices constantly, even auto rickshaws will be getting affected. Cost of living is very high in this city. People might have to start travelling in horse carriages like olden times", a division bench of Justices PB Majmudar and RD Dhanuka said.
As per directions of the Supreme Court, the Maharashtra government had to submit a compliance report regarding implementation of a notification dated February 17, 2012 that made installation of electronic-meters mandatory in all auto rickshaws in the state.
The Mumbai Auto Rickshawmens` Union had challenged the compulsory fitting of e-meters, but both the High Court and the apex court had dismissed the petition.
The Maharashtra government today filed a report before the HC stating that since March 1, nearly 6,500 electronic meters have been fitted in old and new autos.
According to an affidavit filed by Joint Transport Commissioner Satish Sahastrabudhe, 2,598 registered new autos have been fitted with e-meters, while 3,839 old autos come for renewal of fitness certificates have also been fitted with the e-meters.
On a request by the auto union, the bench has asked the Hakim committee to consider permitting advertisements on autos, too, like the ones on buses and taxis.
The one-man committee was formed by the government to study and give recommendation on fare revision of the autos. The committee has also been asked to look into revenue generation for the autos, considering hike in petrol and CNG prices.
The High Court has now directed the government to submit further compliance report on August 1 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof