Horse carriages may have to be used if petrol price soars: HC
Mumbai: Looking at the increase in petrol prices, people may soon have to go back to commuting in horse carriages, the Bombay High Court on Tuesday observed, even as the Maharashtra government today filed a report before the Court regarding e-meters fitted in auto rickshaws.
"With the hike in petrol prices constantly, even auto rickshaws will be getting affected. Cost of living is very high in this city. People might have to start travelling in horse carriages like olden times", a division bench of Justices PB Majmudar and RD Dhanuka said.
As per directions of the Supreme Court, the Maharashtra government had to submit a compliance report regarding implementation of a notification dated February 17, 2012 that made installation of electronic-meters mandatory in all auto rickshaws in the state.
The Mumbai Auto Rickshawmens` Union had challenged the compulsory fitting of e-meters, but both the High Court and the apex court had dismissed the petition.
The Maharashtra government today filed a report before the HC stating that since March 1, nearly 6,500 electronic meters have been fitted in old and new autos.
According to an affidavit filed by Joint Transport Commissioner Satish Sahastrabudhe, 2,598 registered new autos have been fitted with e-meters, while 3,839 old autos come for renewal of fitness certificates have also been fitted with the e-meters.
On a request by the auto union, the bench has asked the Hakim committee to consider permitting advertisements on autos, too, like the ones on buses and taxis.
The one-man committee was formed by the government to study and give recommendation on fare revision of the autos. The committee has also been asked to look into revenue generation for the autos, considering hike in petrol and CNG prices.
The High Court has now directed the government to submit further compliance report on August 1 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'