`Housefly` verdict to elect village deputy sarpanch in Maharashtra
Pune: A newly elected woman deputy sarpanch owes her position to a housefly which descended and sat on a chit that contained her name among other two contestants in a gram panchayat poll in the district.
However, the District Collectorate has described such a verdict as "invalid".
A patient wait for about 15 minutes fructified as the fly, normally shooed away, obliged the panchayat members, gliding down and settling on one of the three chits that was to decide the fate of two women and a male aspirant for the post in the Satkarashtal village of Khed taluka last weekend.
The nine-member panchayat samiti then unanimously declared Sanjeevani Thingle, the lucky winner as deputy sarpanch as the remaining two contestants duly proposed and seconded her name after the "fly" verdict was delivered at the village deity Bhairavnath temple, said Ajay Chavan, a four time member of the panchayat.
Describing the procedure which was followed last year also in the village, Chavan and Khanderao Thingle, father-in-law of Sanjeevani told PTI that it was the best way of electing candidates for certain posts without acrimony, fights and bad blood.
However, Additional District Collector Ganesh Patil said they were yet to receive a report on the Satkarashtal panchayat poll and added that the housefly verdict could not be held valid.
Playing down the validity aspect of the unconventional election procedure, Chavan said it was unanimously agreed and accepted by the villagers and all panchayat members and therefore, district officials had no business to raise objections.
An elated Sanjeevani said she was determined to make best of the opportunity given to her following the "divine" nod at the temple by serving her people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today
- There was no intention to show disrespect to Stalin or DMK, clarifies Jayalalithaa
- Air ambulance crash lands in Delhi: This is how the pilot saved lives of passengers
- Uttarakhand Class 10 Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uk Board Class 10th Result 2016, Uttarakhand Board Class 10th X Result 2016, UBSE 10th Class Result to be announced today at 11 am