Huge public response for Mumbai Metro
Mumbai: Some 240,000 people travelled Sunday on the inaugural service of the Mumbai Metro, run by Reliance Infrastructure (RInfra), which said it is overwhelmed by the public response.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan flagged off the maiden service - manned by a woman driver, 27-year-old Rupali Chavan - with Deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar, Reliance chief Anil Ambani, his wife Tina and other celebs and media persons on the inaugural ride between Versova-Ghatkopar.
"It was a momentous occasion for us when the commercial operation of Mumbai Metro started. Despite being Sunday and opened for public only from 12 noon, 240,000 people travelled. This would redefine the way Mumbaikars travel," said RInfra CEO Lalit Jalan.
The city`s first rail corridor providing a critical east-west link is expected to serve around 700,000 commuters daily in its first year of operations.
In order to popularize the system, Mumbai Metro One Pvt. Ltd. (MMOPL) has announced a month-long promotional fare of Rs.10 between any of the 12 stations en route on the 11.40 km line.
This would be notwithstanding the initial fares fixed and notified separately which would be Rs 10, 20, 30 and 40, under Central Metro Act, 2002, Sec. 33.
The Mumbai Metro reduces the travelling time from around 90-120 minutes to just 21 minutes between Versova-Ghatkopar and will run daily 5.30 a.m.-midnight with peak hour frequencies of four minutes and non-peak hour services every eight minutes.
"The beginning of the commercial operation of Mumbai Metro is a historical moment for the city of Mumbai. It will change the life of Mumbaikars and the way they commute everyday," remarked Mumbai Metro One Pvt.Ltd. CEO Abhay Mishra.
Each coach of the colourful four-coach rakes has a capacity of around 375 commuters or around 1,500 commuters per service, zooming above the city between the two points - Versova-Ghatkopar - with a total of 12 elevated stations en route.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test