Humiliated over mother`s illicit affair, girl commits suicide
Mumbai: Humiliated on being dragged to a police station along with her mother, accused of having an illicit affair, a 15-year-old girl allegedly committed suicide at her residence in the slum pocket of Sewree here, police said on Friday.
The incident took place on Wednesday night, when the girl and her mother Muttulakshmi were forcibly taken to the Sewree police station by one Jaya, with whose husband the woman allegedly had an extra-marital relationship.
Traumatised and unable to stand the humiliation, the girl consumed poison before setting herself ablaze following which she was taken to JJ hospital, where she succumbed to her burns in the wee hours of Thursday after giving a dying declaration, police said.
Jaya, who was accompanied by three other women to the police station, was arrested yesterday.
"We have arrested Jaya, wife of the person with whom the victim`s mother Muttulakshmi supposedly had an illicit affair and we have booked her under section 306 (abetment of suicide) of Indian Penal Code," Dilip Waghmare, Assistant Commissioner of Police said.
However, her alleged accomplices are absconding and yet to be arrested, police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan