Humiliated over mother`s illicit affair, girl commits suicide
Mumbai: Humiliated on being dragged to a police station along with her mother, accused of having an illicit affair, a 15-year-old girl allegedly committed suicide at her residence in the slum pocket of Sewree here, police said on Friday.
The incident took place on Wednesday night, when the girl and her mother Muttulakshmi were forcibly taken to the Sewree police station by one Jaya, with whose husband the woman allegedly had an extra-marital relationship.
Traumatised and unable to stand the humiliation, the girl consumed poison before setting herself ablaze following which she was taken to JJ hospital, where she succumbed to her burns in the wee hours of Thursday after giving a dying declaration, police said.
Jaya, who was accompanied by three other women to the police station, was arrested yesterday.
"We have arrested Jaya, wife of the person with whom the victim`s mother Muttulakshmi supposedly had an illicit affair and we have booked her under section 306 (abetment of suicide) of Indian Penal Code," Dilip Waghmare, Assistant Commissioner of Police said.
However, her alleged accomplices are absconding and yet to be arrested, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Abhishek Bachchan's 'family' birthday—See pics