Husband-wife duo interrogated in ACP suicide case
Mumbai: A husband and wife duo, who came
under scanner after a senior police officer allegedly
committed suicide, were questioned on Tuesday even as the officer`s
family hinted that it may demand a CBI probe into the matter,
A number of missed calls were also found on the mobile
phone of Assistant Commissioner of Police Baburao Gaikwad of
Dahisar division, who ended his life yesterday just seven
months prior to his retirement, they said.
"Hours before his suicide, he received a few calls but he
did not attend them. The mobile phone displayed a few missed
calls. We are looking into these calls. The Gaikwad family is
yet to overcome the trauma and carried out funerals today. We
were told that the family may demand for CBI probe into the
matter," a senior police officer said.
"A woman with whom he was said to have had extra-marital
relationship was also called for questioning. Her husband was
also grilled. We are verifying if he really had any affair
with the woman and whether she was the one who drove Gaikwad
to end his life," the officer added.
However, the woman`s husband said, "Yesterday afternoon,
some channels were flashing a news in which the name of my
wife was mentioned and she was held responsible for Gaikwad`s
suicide. But we are just family friends. We told the police,
who called us for questioning, the same thing."
Allegations about an extra marital affair by the deceased
with my wife are baseless, he said.
Gaikwad shot himself on his head with a 9mm revolver at
his office in the premises of Dahisar police station
yesterday, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez