I-T official remanded in CBI custody in graft case
Mumbai: A special court on Tuesday remanded
Income Tax assistant commissioner Anjali Bambole, arrested in
a graft case, to CBI custody till April 27.
Anjali was arrested last night, two days after the
arrest of I-T additional commissioner Sumitra Banerjee and her
husband Subratho. The trio have been accused of accepting a
bribe of Rs 1.50 crore from a builder to reduce his tax
The CBI today sought custody of Anjali to investigate
if more officials of I-T are involved in the crime.
"Anjali had earlier also demanded a bribe of Rs 20
lakh from a developer in Thane. We want to unravel the whole
conspiracy," the CBI stated in its remand copy.
The CBI had recovered cash worth Rs six lakh from
The investigating agency had yesterday also conducted
searches at the residence of I-T commissioner Anirudh Rai.
"So far nothing incriminating has been found from
Rai`s residence. Verification is going on," CBI DIG Sonali
According to CBI, Sumitra and Anjali had on March 24
examined the documents of the complainant and conducted survey
of his sites. The accused had sought the bribe to reduce the
builder`s tax liability from Rs 25 crore to two crore.
The builder, however, lodged a complaint with the CBI,
which laid a trap and caught Sumitra red-handed while
accepting the bribe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Pakistan directly involved in proxy war in Kashmir: Lt. Gen Hooda
- Beijing urged to accept South China Sea ruling
- Centre will not harm Odisha's interests: Uma Bharti
- Telangana Congress leaders stopped from heading to Mallanna project
- WATCH: When The Great Khali beat 19 opponents to win World Heavyweight title