I was hit first, CCTV will prove that: Saif
Mumbai: Actor Saif Ali Khan, who was arrested and released on bail in an assault case, Wednesday night, claimed that he had been hit and "verbally abused" first during the "ugly incident" at a five-star hotel last night.
"I was hit first and verbally abused," Saif said, talking to reporters at his home. "I was hit first. And as shocking as it may seem, the elderly gentlemen hit me. I`m not sure what provoked him.
"I am looking forward to CCTV footage (inside the restaurant)," he said, adding that the footage would prove that he was innocent.
"I certainly got it in the eye...his (complainant Sharma`s) nose does not look like broken to me," Saif said. To a query, Saif also said that he was not drunk at the time.
The actor also complained that the media coverage of the incident was one-sided. "There is a certain slant in the press," he said.
He would have never raised hand at an elderly gentleman, the actor said, but also conceded that the situation "could have been handled differently."
"I could have reacted differently. I could have been a little more Gandhian in my approach. But I`m afraid I reacted in a way any gentleman would have reacted. But I`m not proud of what happened.
It could have been handled differently. I should have set a better example. I`m sorry that I reacted this way.
"People assume that just because you are a film star, you are a spoilt brat...I feel like I have been aggressed upon (sic)," he said.
Saif also said, answering a query that he had not run, but gone to police station in the morning "after finishing my work"."I have full faith in the police, judiciary," the actor, visibly agitated, said.
The 41-year-old actor and his two friends were booked under sections 325 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intent) of IPC for assaulting a South African businessman of Indian origin named Iqbal Sharma at `Wasabi`, a Japanese restaurant at the Taj Hotel last night.
Appearing before a huge posse of media men who had gathered outside his residence late tonight, Saif replied in the negative when asked whether he was drunk.
"I was not drunk," he said. Saif also claimed that he was assaulted first and got hit in the eye. The eye did not appear to be broken, he added.
The actor said the version of events as given by the complainant was "completely untrue and one sided."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?