ICG to set up permanent base in Navi Mumbai
Thane: Indian Coast Guard (ICG) will be
setting up a permanent base at Nerul in Navi Mumbai in a bid
to strengthen maritime security and will use existing
hoverport facility at Belapur to connect the upcoming Navi
Mumbai international airport with South Mumbai, officials said
The City and Industrial Development Corporation
(CIDCO) has allotted a plot near TS Chanakya in Nerul to the
Indian Coast Guard (West) following a request forwarded by the
maritime agency and the Ministry of Defence (MoD), a release
issued by CIDCO office said.
TS Chanakya is a shore-based training ship located on
west coast near Mumbai.
The Coast Guard is in the process of developing the
said plot to set up a permanent base in Nerul after obtaining
approvals from the competent authority, it said.
The release further said since the establishment of
permanent base is likely to take substantial time; the Coast
Guard will be using existing hover port service at Belapur and
will press into service hovercraft for strengthening maritime
security and connecting the upcoming international airport to
CIDCO in its board meeting held recently allowed the
coastal security agency to use the hoverport facilities on the
lease basis for a period of 3 years.
"In 1990`s, CIDCO had developed the hover ports at
Vashi and Belapur for providing passenger water transport
services between South Mumbai and Navi Mumbai. However, the
service was discontinued following lack of permanent hoverport
facilities in South Mumbai," the release said.
Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC)
is developing a passenger water transport system between
Mumbai and Nerul, Navi Mumbai, utilising catamarans and
A Canadian company which conducted the feasibility
study of the transport system has given a go-ahead for the
project in order to facilitate commuters to reach Navi Mumbai
airport in a span of 45 minutes from South Mumbai, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’