If no aid, then NOTA: Vidarbha farmers
Nagpur: Lakhs of distressed farmers in Vidarbha region have threatened to press the None Of The Above (NOTA) button on voting machines next month if they are not disbursed aid for farm losses immediately, an activist said here Saturday.
A large meeting of farmers and their representatives from different parts of Vidarbha passed a resolution Saturday demanding that aid and relief packages be released by April 10, failing which they would resort to NOTA in the ensuing Lok Sabha elections.
Raising the slogan - "No Aid, No Vote", the farmers also demanded an end to ongoing recovery of debts by the banks and concessions in electricity and water bills.
"Thousands of farmers in the region have suffered double losses -- first in August 2013 when there were devastating floods...followed by the unseasonal heavy rain and hailstorm during the past fortnight," Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti chief Kishore Tiwari said.
"Shockingly, even the aid of Rs.3,000 crores promised last year has yet to reach the farmers. We wonder when the assurances by the government for the March 2014 destruction will actually be fulfilled," he added.
The gathering of around 1,200 at Bhimkund village in Yavatmal was organised to discuss and highlight the plight of the farmers even as all political parties are busy campaigning.
To draw the attention of the authorities, the gathering started with a `puja` performed on garlanded photos of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar.
They prayed aloud to the almighty "to give them sense" and urgently guide them to help the farming community of the state reeling under an agrarian crisis since the past ten years.
"In their lust for votes, all political parties across the spectrum have totally ignored the plight of half a million farmers. Farmers have been forced to flee their barren villages and take refuge in the forest with the tribals," said women farmers` leader Kiran Kolvate.
Most parts of Vidarbha, considered among the worst-hit in the recent rains and hailstorms, are to vote April 10 in the first of the three-phased elections in Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview