Illegal agitation: MLA, 10 others get 1 month jail
Pune: Judicial magistrate (first class) AR Mohane on Saturday convicted Shiv Sena’s MLA Chandrakant Mokate and 10 others, including one sitting corporator, six former corporators and three political workers for carrying out an illegal agitation in 2010 for nullah widening work at a Karvenagar area.
All eleven people have been convicted under various sections of Indian Penal Code for rioting. All have been sentenced to a month’s imprisonment and a fine of Rs1,500 each. In case of failure in payment of the fine, they will have to face another seven days of imprisonment. Magistrate Mohane has given September 16 as the deadline for an appeal in sessions court.
The convicted accused have been identified as MLA Mokate (45), Shyam Deshpande (50), Rajendra Balkawade, Bharat Sutar (38), corporators Prithviraj Sutar (39), Usha Kelkar (44), Surekha Panasare(39), Dilip Gaikwad (46), Balasaheb Temkar (42), Jaydeep Padwal (33) and Navnath Jadhav (33).
Temkar, Jadhav and Padwal were ward chiefs and others were corporators from the party. As per the prosecution, on September 29, 2010, there were heavy rains due to which there was water logging. Due to heavy rains, a part of wall collapsed and four people were trapped under it. The convicts planned a rasta roko demanding to increase the width of the nullah despite the commissioner of police imposing a ban on any unlawful assembly during that period.
MLA Kokate along with 200 party workers held the rasta roko for over two hours condemning the problem of water logging in the city and improper construction on drainage lines across the city on October 5, 2010. During the agitation the traffic was chaotic.
Assistant public prosecutor Varsha Prabhu examined seven prosecution witnesses in this case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler