Illegal agitation: MLA, 10 others get 1 month jail
Pune: Judicial magistrate (first class) AR Mohane on Saturday convicted Shiv Sena’s MLA Chandrakant Mokate and 10 others, including one sitting corporator, six former corporators and three political workers for carrying out an illegal agitation in 2010 for nullah widening work at a Karvenagar area.
All eleven people have been convicted under various sections of Indian Penal Code for rioting. All have been sentenced to a month’s imprisonment and a fine of Rs1,500 each. In case of failure in payment of the fine, they will have to face another seven days of imprisonment. Magistrate Mohane has given September 16 as the deadline for an appeal in sessions court.
The convicted accused have been identified as MLA Mokate (45), Shyam Deshpande (50), Rajendra Balkawade, Bharat Sutar (38), corporators Prithviraj Sutar (39), Usha Kelkar (44), Surekha Panasare(39), Dilip Gaikwad (46), Balasaheb Temkar (42), Jaydeep Padwal (33) and Navnath Jadhav (33).
Temkar, Jadhav and Padwal were ward chiefs and others were corporators from the party. As per the prosecution, on September 29, 2010, there were heavy rains due to which there was water logging. Due to heavy rains, a part of wall collapsed and four people were trapped under it. The convicts planned a rasta roko demanding to increase the width of the nullah despite the commissioner of police imposing a ban on any unlawful assembly during that period.
MLA Kokate along with 200 party workers held the rasta roko for over two hours condemning the problem of water logging in the city and improper construction on drainage lines across the city on October 5, 2010. During the agitation the traffic was chaotic.
Assistant public prosecutor Varsha Prabhu examined seven prosecution witnesses in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened