Illegal agitation: MLA, 10 others get 1 month jail
Pune: Judicial magistrate (first class) AR Mohane on Saturday convicted Shiv Sena’s MLA Chandrakant Mokate and 10 others, including one sitting corporator, six former corporators and three political workers for carrying out an illegal agitation in 2010 for nullah widening work at a Karvenagar area.
All eleven people have been convicted under various sections of Indian Penal Code for rioting. All have been sentenced to a month’s imprisonment and a fine of Rs1,500 each. In case of failure in payment of the fine, they will have to face another seven days of imprisonment. Magistrate Mohane has given September 16 as the deadline for an appeal in sessions court.
The convicted accused have been identified as MLA Mokate (45), Shyam Deshpande (50), Rajendra Balkawade, Bharat Sutar (38), corporators Prithviraj Sutar (39), Usha Kelkar (44), Surekha Panasare(39), Dilip Gaikwad (46), Balasaheb Temkar (42), Jaydeep Padwal (33) and Navnath Jadhav (33).
Temkar, Jadhav and Padwal were ward chiefs and others were corporators from the party. As per the prosecution, on September 29, 2010, there were heavy rains due to which there was water logging. Due to heavy rains, a part of wall collapsed and four people were trapped under it. The convicts planned a rasta roko demanding to increase the width of the nullah despite the commissioner of police imposing a ban on any unlawful assembly during that period.
MLA Kokate along with 200 party workers held the rasta roko for over two hours condemning the problem of water logging in the city and improper construction on drainage lines across the city on October 5, 2010. During the agitation the traffic was chaotic.
Assistant public prosecutor Varsha Prabhu examined seven prosecution witnesses in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire