Illegal structures responsible for two deaths razed in Pune
Pune: In the wake of a huge public cry, the district authorities here carried out a massive demolition drive razing 20 illegal structures along the Pune-Banglore Highway, which had caused flooding and led to death of two persons.
These unauthorised buildings on the Katraj hills had caused heavy flooding after rains, leading to the death of a woman and her child early last month.
The day-long demolition, which cleared illegal structures spread over around 8,000 sq ft, was carried out under heavy police deployment on Thursday.
The drive came after a local court vacated the stay earlier obtained by the builder brothers who have been arrested and booked under Maharashtra Regional Town Planning Act (MRTP) for carrying out unauthorised constructions not conforming to the city`s development plan.
Wide protests were witnessed by citizen forums as well as political parties who admonished the district authorities for their alleged protection to the culprits.
The public outcry prompted Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to institute an inquiry into the June 6 mishap in which a 30-year-old woman and her daughter from the city were washed away near the Katraj tunnel as their car got submerged in the swirling waters without an outlet.
After the incident the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) officials had claimed the local administration had been sounded about the constructions dangerously close to the highway, which could compromise the road safety.
A district official said the demolition was carried out as soon as the administration got court order vacating the stay obtained by the builder brothers, who have been also fined for Rs 69 lakh.
A survey, conducted by the administration after the tragedy, concluded that the encroachments on the hills at the entrance of the city, had caused the accident, which resulted from obstruction of drains leading to submerging of the highway stretch.
Meanwhile, Chavan, who was in the city yesterday, said the State Government will initiate action against the erring officials who turned a blind eye to the illegal structures when they were being raised and the guilty responsible for the tragedy will not be spared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!