In-coordination of ruling allies led to less Maha drought aid package
Pune: Lack of coordination between Congress and NCP -- the ruling coalition partners-- had resulted in inadequate drought aid package for Maharashtra, Swambhimani Shetkari Sanghatana leader and MP Raju Shetty alleged today.
The Rs 1,208 crore package announced by the Central government for the drought affected state had fallen short of the required fund of Rs 2,200 crore demanded by Maharashtra government, he told reporters here.
"Maharashtra deserved and needed more funds to tackle the severity of drought. But the Chief Minister (Prithviraj Chavan) and Deputy Chief Minister (Ajit Pawar) differed in their assessment of the situation. The lack of coordination between the two ruling coalition partners and incompetence of the state leaders resulted in insufficient central aid," Shetty claimed.
Briefing reporters after a meeting of his party`s state executive meeting which concluded here, Shetty announced a "Sangharsha Yatra" of farmers to be taken from three different routes commencing March 27 to focus their plight in the wake of severe drought conditions in the state.
The Yatra would culminate at Satara on April 10, he added.
Shetty also demanded waiving of crop loans and electricity bills of the farmers from drought affected regions of the state as well as a hike in milk procurement prices.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Nobody came to help while I screamed, says victim of Bengaluru kidnapping case
- Indian Premier League 2016: List of 11 injured players that have been ruled out of remaining tournament
- Kishore Biyani resigns as Managing Director of Future Retail
- I'm against honouring Malala Yousafzai with Nobel Peace Prize: Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- Sebi cancels registration of Deutsche Mutual Fund