In drought-hit Jalna, peak of summer arrived 2 months early
Jalna (Maha): A grim picture unfolds as one travels through the drought-hit Jalna district of Marathwada region and the border areas of Ahmednagar district in western Maharashtra, with the common refrain being that situation is worse than 1972, a benchmark year for droughts.
People, especially those who can not afford tanker water, have to go around searching for a free source even at night.
"People searching for water day-long and even at night is a common sight. This situation would normally come about only in May but there was no rainfall this year which made it worse. People don`t have water even for bath," said a labourer, who was collecting water from a leak in the pipeline which supplies water to the industrial area of Jalna from the Jaikwadi reservoir.
In 1972, Maharashtra had faced a severe drought but then the problem was shortage of food grains.
"This year`s drought is severe due to acute water shortage. This was not the case in 1972 as water was available. There was shortage of food grains and farmers had no money. This time food grains are available but there is no water," said Madhukar Bormare, a farmer from Jaikwadi village in Ahmednagar district.
Bormare, who grows onion, said the situation is worsening with every passing day. "Animals are suffering a lot," he said.
In several parts of the district, lack of irrigation has visibly destroyed cotton, wheat crops and sweet lime plantations.
"There is no source of income left for the farmers now as the farms are ruined. Farmers will be unable to repay loans... A time will come in near future when the farmers will have to commit suicide," said Ram Patade, a cotton grower from Kutubkheda.
The farmers are now cutting down the dead plants and trees and using them as firewood, he said.
Government and the local legislators have been apathetic, farmers alleged.
"There is no MGNREGA scheme here. Last time, when the construction of Amrapur-Pimplegao road was undertaken (under the scheme), money went to bogus workers," alleged Shivaji Sushe, a farmer from Amrapur village.
Ironically MGNREGA, the flagship scheme of UPA government, was inspired by the employment guarantee scheme devised by Maharashtra government to provide relief in the wake of 1972 drought.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday