Incessant rains lead to floods in Chandrapur
Chandrapur: Incessant rains that lashed the district along with other adjoining areas of the region, has resulted in a flood-like situation here on Wednesday.
According to reports released by the district administration, many of the roads like, Chandrapur, Hyderabad, Chandrapur, Gadchiroli, Ghugus, Wani, Warora,Wani and some of the interior roads were cut-off due to floods on Wednesday.
The Wardha river is in spate, halting vehicular traffic to Hyderabad and also cut off traffic from Ghugus to Wani and from Wani to Warora in the district.
Some low-lying areas of Raj Nagar, Rehmat Nagar, Vitthal Mandir Ward and Pathanpura localities were partially submerged in flood waters of Irai river. Due to the situation, all seven gates of the Irai Dam were closed on Wednesday since 1 pm, according to district administration reports.
District Collector C S Dahalkar, Superintendent of Police Rajiv Jain, Municipal Commissioner Prakash Bokhad and Resident Deputy Collector P D Badkelwar visited flood affected localities of the city in the afternoon, followed by visits by Mayor Sangeeta Amrutkar, former MP Naresh Pugalia and others in the evening.
One of the officials, informed that the flood-like situation is the result of release of water from the Upper Wardha Project in Amaravati district and from Gosikhurd project in Bhandara district.
Showers stopped since Tuesday evening but the release of water from other projects into Wardha and Wainganga rivers has resulted in a temporary flood like situation, he opined.
As per an official release, as many as six of the twelve irrigation projects in the district are filled up with water upto their brims.
Projects that are full include the Chandai Project, the Chargaon Project, Amal Nala, Labansarad, Pakadiguddam and the Deena Project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends