Income Tax officer gets five years in jail in graft case
Mumbai: The special CBI court here today convicted a former Assistant Commissioner of Income tax for demanding and accepting bribe from an assessee and sentenced him to five years` rigorous imprisonment.
According to CBI, accused Rajeev Kumar demanded Rs 25,000 from the complainant in March 1998 to settle a tax claim for year 1995-1996.
The CBI filed the chargesheet in 2000 after he was booked under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000