India`s only sex museum: BMC opens it, shuts it and forgets it
Mumbai: The fact that the only sex museum in the country run by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) had to pull down its shutters six years ago, under the pretext of being shifted to another venue, shows the authorities’ callous attitude when it comes to imparting sex education in the right manner.
Antarang, South Asia’s first sex health information art gallery, was inaugurated in 2002 in Kamathipura after a sudden surge in HIV/Aids cases in the city. It was shut down in 2007.
It became popular among prostitutes and some of their clients after health workers began taking them there.
“It didn’t see a lot of mainstream visitors as not many wanted to come to a red light district. Including students, around 450 people came to Antarang every month,” said a health department official.
The museum had depictions of ancient folk stories and sculptures with verses from the Kamasutra, meant to play an important role in sex education and spreading awareness about sexually transmitted diseases.
Wooden and plastic models on display explained human anatomy, while another section was on pregnancy-related changes in the female body.
Now, all this material and the sculptures is stacked up at the Acworth Municipal Hospital for Leprosy in Wadala, where they lie in shambles.
Mumbai District Aids Control Society, an NGO, had been looking after the museum. A civic official said, “The building housing the museum was dilapidated and leaked during monsoon, damaging the sculptures. It was handed over to a private developer for redevelopment.”
Once redeveloped, the BMC plans to reopen it either in the same building or at the leprosy hospital. “Around 3,000sqft is to be allotted to the upgraded museum, which will have audio-visual and animated information on HIV,” said an engineer from city engineering department. BMC claims it’s in the process of getting approvals for the new and improved museum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced