Indira a woman with guts, Manmohan mild: Thackeray
Mumbai: His political differences with
Congress notwithstanding, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray
admires Indira Gandhi as a "woman with guts" who had the
capability to govern.
Thackeray was replying to a question as to whom he
thought was the best Prime Minister, in an interview published
in party mouthpiece Saamana on Wednesday.
"When Indira Gandhi won the Bangladesh war, even Vajpayee
(Atal Behari Vajpayee) hailed her as an avatar of Goddess
Durga," Thackeray recalled.
The late prime minister was a "woman who had guts and knew
how to rule," he said.
Thackeray was, however, critical of her Emergency
imposition in 1975.
On Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, he said,"He is an
intelligent man, but very mild."
Referring to Rahul Gandhi, the Shiv Sena chief questioned
the Congress leader`s ability to become PM.
"Who is this Rahul Gandhi? What is there in him? Tomorrow,
any school kid will rise and ask to be made the PM," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'