Injured passenger recounts moments after train collision
Shahpur: It was dark and raining when injured passenger of Mumbai-Gondia Vidarbha Express Bhagyashri Karewar climbed down from her coach which lay on top of another and reached the highway to seek help.
The Mumbai-Gondia Vidarbha Express had collided with a derailed Mumbai-bound local train last night near here, leaving one dead and 31 others injured.
"There was a loud noise after which the train stopped. The bogey had derailed before the passengers could realise anything," said Karewar (24), who sustained injuries on her forehead.
A resident of nearby Badlapur, Karewar was on her way to Pulgaon in Vardha district.
"My bogey lay on top of another bogey. I was on the upper berth and had rammed into the fan due to the impact," she told news agency.
"I climbed down from the coach and somehow managed to come out of the compartment. It was dark and raining, but with the help of other passengers, I reached the highway, which was not very far," she said.
Karewar then called up one of her relatives, who rushed there and took her to the sub-district hospital here.
According to the Central Railway, one person was killed and 31 others were injured in the collision which took place at about 9.30 PM last night between Kasara and Umbermali, in Thane district.
Most of the injured were rushed to Igatpuri Railway Hospital and Kasara Primary Health Centre, local police said.
Railway Board Chairman Vinay Mittal had said last night that the local train derailed after running into boulders and mud that had fallen onto the tracks following a landslide. The Express train ran into the derailed coaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet