Injured passenger recounts moments after train collision
Shahpur: It was dark and raining when injured passenger of Mumbai-Gondia Vidarbha Express Bhagyashri Karewar climbed down from her coach which lay on top of another and reached the highway to seek help.
The Mumbai-Gondia Vidarbha Express had collided with a derailed Mumbai-bound local train last night near here, leaving one dead and 31 others injured.
"There was a loud noise after which the train stopped. The bogey had derailed before the passengers could realise anything," said Karewar (24), who sustained injuries on her forehead.
A resident of nearby Badlapur, Karewar was on her way to Pulgaon in Vardha district.
"My bogey lay on top of another bogey. I was on the upper berth and had rammed into the fan due to the impact," she told news agency.
"I climbed down from the coach and somehow managed to come out of the compartment. It was dark and raining, but with the help of other passengers, I reached the highway, which was not very far," she said.
Karewar then called up one of her relatives, who rushed there and took her to the sub-district hospital here.
According to the Central Railway, one person was killed and 31 others were injured in the collision which took place at about 9.30 PM last night between Kasara and Umbermali, in Thane district.
Most of the injured were rushed to Igatpuri Railway Hospital and Kasara Primary Health Centre, local police said.
Railway Board Chairman Vinay Mittal had said last night that the local train derailed after running into boulders and mud that had fallen onto the tracks following a landslide. The Express train ran into the derailed coaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read