Interim protection from arrest to Lahane till February 25
Mumbai: The sessions court here on Thursday granted interim protection from arrest till February 25 to Dr T P Lahane, the Dean of the government-run J J Hospital, who is accused of making a casteist remark against an employee.
The hearing on his anticipatory bail plea was adjourned to February 25.
"The court has granted Dr Lahane interim protection till February 25 and also directed him not to enter the premises of J J Hospital," said his lawyer, advocate Swapana Kode.
Kode said Dr Lahane would not be able even to go to his quarters within the hospital premises.
Dr Lahane, a noted ophthalmologist and a Padma Shri awardee, is facing a case under the SC/ST Atrocities (Prevention) Act after sweeper Narayan Waghela, working with the hospital, accused him of hurling casteist abuse earlier this month.
Lahane denied the allegation and filed anticipatory bail application two days ago.
According to the complaint, Lahane got into an argument with Waghela when the latter asked another sweeper to stop working as all the temporary class-IV employees were on strike.
Dr Lahane had earlier moved the Bombay High Court, seeking quashing of FIR. However the high court asked him to approach the Sessions Court first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea