Interim protection from arrest to Lahane till February 25
Mumbai: The sessions court here on Thursday granted interim protection from arrest till February 25 to Dr T P Lahane, the Dean of the government-run J J Hospital, who is accused of making a casteist remark against an employee.
The hearing on his anticipatory bail plea was adjourned to February 25.
"The court has granted Dr Lahane interim protection till February 25 and also directed him not to enter the premises of J J Hospital," said his lawyer, advocate Swapana Kode.
Kode said Dr Lahane would not be able even to go to his quarters within the hospital premises.
Dr Lahane, a noted ophthalmologist and a Padma Shri awardee, is facing a case under the SC/ST Atrocities (Prevention) Act after sweeper Narayan Waghela, working with the hospital, accused him of hurling casteist abuse earlier this month.
Lahane denied the allegation and filed anticipatory bail application two days ago.
According to the complaint, Lahane got into an argument with Waghela when the latter asked another sweeper to stop working as all the temporary class-IV employees were on strike.
Dr Lahane had earlier moved the Bombay High Court, seeking quashing of FIR. However the high court asked him to approach the Sessions Court first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena