IPS officer seeks pre-arrest bail in model rape case
Mumbai: Senior IPS officer Sunil Paraskar, who has been accused of rape by a city-based model, on Friday filed an anticipatory bail application before the sessions court here which granted him interim protection till July 31.
"Paraskar has sought pre-arrest bail and has been granted interim protection from arrest till July 31 (when his application is likely to be heard)," public prosecutor Nileema Kasture said.
Suburban Malwani police on Wednesday registered a case against 57 years old Paraskar under sections 376(2)(rape by a police officer), 376 C (intercourse by superintendent of jail, remand home, etc) and 354(D) (stalking) of the Indian Penal Code.
The complainant, a 25-year-old model, approached Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria on Tuesday, with complaint of rape and molestation against Paraskar, who is currently posted at the Maharashtra police headquarters as Deputy Inspector General (Protection of Civil Rights Units).
The matter was referred to the Women Cell which conducted a preliminary enquiry and then an FIR was registered at Malwani police station against the 1997-batch IPS officer.
The alleged offence was committed at a hotel in suburban Malad.
The woman has alleged that Paraskar molested and sexually assaulted her on two occasions in 2013. According to her, she met Paraskar first in 2012 when he was Additional Commissioner of Police with regard to a case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened