Irate mob ransacks toll booth in Thane, six held
Thane: Six persons have been detained after a mob allegedly ransacked the newly set up toll collection booth at a village near here today, police said.
The villagers were reportedly annoyed over the addition of one more toll booth at Waghote village on the Wada Manor road under Wada taluka of Thane, taking the total number of booths to 18 in the district.
They were also angry over the toll collection allegedly being started even as the work on the road there was yet to be completed, police said.
The agitation was carried out today by local Congress workers, led by Nilesh Sambre, they said.
While the mob was on a rampage, one of the toll booth employees allegedly fired in air from his revolver. This angered the villagers all the more who then bashed up the employee, police said.
While the villagers claimed that two persons were injured in the firing, police were yet to confirm it.
They said the situation was under control and the traffic on the highway had resumed.
The toll collection centre had started functioning earlier this month.
Police said offences were being registered in connection with the incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists