Irate mob ransacks toll booth in Thane, six held
Thane: Six persons have been detained after a mob allegedly ransacked the newly set up toll collection booth at a village near here today, police said.
The villagers were reportedly annoyed over the addition of one more toll booth at Waghote village on the Wada Manor road under Wada taluka of Thane, taking the total number of booths to 18 in the district.
They were also angry over the toll collection allegedly being started even as the work on the road there was yet to be completed, police said.
The agitation was carried out today by local Congress workers, led by Nilesh Sambre, they said.
While the mob was on a rampage, one of the toll booth employees allegedly fired in air from his revolver. This angered the villagers all the more who then bashed up the employee, police said.
While the villagers claimed that two persons were injured in the firing, police were yet to confirm it.
They said the situation was under control and the traffic on the highway had resumed.
The toll collection centre had started functioning earlier this month.
Police said offences were being registered in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees