Irate mob ransacks toll booth in Thane, six held
Thane: Six persons have been detained after a mob allegedly ransacked the newly set up toll collection booth at a village near here today, police said.
The villagers were reportedly annoyed over the addition of one more toll booth at Waghote village on the Wada Manor road under Wada taluka of Thane, taking the total number of booths to 18 in the district.
They were also angry over the toll collection allegedly being started even as the work on the road there was yet to be completed, police said.
The agitation was carried out today by local Congress workers, led by Nilesh Sambre, they said.
While the mob was on a rampage, one of the toll booth employees allegedly fired in air from his revolver. This angered the villagers all the more who then bashed up the employee, police said.
While the villagers claimed that two persons were injured in the firing, police were yet to confirm it.
They said the situation was under control and the traffic on the highway had resumed.
The toll collection centre had started functioning earlier this month.
Police said offences were being registered in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach