Irrigation scam: Opposition to target Congress-NCP
Nagpur: Main Opposition Shiv Sena-BJP will seek to put Maharashtra`s Congress-NCP government on the mat over alleged irrigation scam in the Winter Session of state legislature beginning here from December 10.
"Our target will be irrigation scam," Leader of Opposition in Legislative Council Vinod Tawde said and slammed the Congress-led government for re-inducting NCP leader Ajit Pawar as Deputy Chief Minister.
Ajit was brought back in the Cabinet yesterday after a Government white paper on irrigation gave him a clean chit. The 53-year-old NCP strongman quit as Deputy Chief Minister in September-end following allegations of irregularities in award of irrigation contracts when he was Water Resources Minister from 1999 to 2009.
Addressing a press conference here, Tawde said the Opposition parties, including BJP, Shiv Sena and MNS, will sit together tomorrow to decide the strategy to take on the Government on various issues.
He said they will urge the ruling alliance to consider giving top priority to problems being faced by Vidarbha since the session is being held in Nagpur, the largest city in the region and second capital of Maharashtra.
The BJP leader criticised the Government for delay in enacting a law to curb private moneylending business in Vidarbha, which has witnessed suicide by thousands of debt- ridden farmers.
Both Houses of the legislature have already passed an Act to regulate moneylending in Maharashtra but it has not come into force as it is awaiting clearance from the Centre, the Opposition leader said.
The Centre had sought some clarifications about the Act but the State Government has failed to provide them till now, Tawde said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!