Irrigation `scam` whistleblower seeks VRS
Nashik: City-based irrigation department whistle blower Vijay Pandhare, who blew the lid off alleged irregularities in various projects across Maharashtra, has sought voluntary retirement from service.
Pandhare, who is the Chief Engineer at Maharashtra Engineering Training Academy (META), was supposed to retire on November 30, 2013.
"I have sent my application to Water Resource Secretary requesting him to relieve me from the service," Pandhare told reporters last evening.
He attributed "personal reasons" for quitting the service prematurely.
Pandhare, who had earlier this year written to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and top bureaucrats alleging a massive scam in dud irrigation projects in the past decade, said there was no pressure on him to quit the service.
"There is no pressure on me either from government or from anybody else. I am taking retirement for my personal reasons. After retirement, I will go to my village in Buldhana district and engage myself in spiritual pursuit. I will also spread awareness about irrigation in rural sector of the state," he said.
In his letter to Chavan, Pandhare had highlighted alleged irregularities surrounding various irrigation projects in the state.
Pandhare, who is a member of the state-level technical advisory committee, wrote a stinging 15-page note to the state government, blaming the politician-officer-contractor nexus for the illegalities.
Pandhare has served on various posts in his 32 years of service so far and had been transferred 16 times.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed