Irrigation `scam` whistleblower seeks VRS
Nashik: City-based irrigation department whistle blower Vijay Pandhare, who blew the lid off alleged irregularities in various projects across Maharashtra, has sought voluntary retirement from service.
Pandhare, who is the Chief Engineer at Maharashtra Engineering Training Academy (META), was supposed to retire on November 30, 2013.
"I have sent my application to Water Resource Secretary requesting him to relieve me from the service," Pandhare told reporters last evening.
He attributed "personal reasons" for quitting the service prematurely.
Pandhare, who had earlier this year written to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and top bureaucrats alleging a massive scam in dud irrigation projects in the past decade, said there was no pressure on him to quit the service.
"There is no pressure on me either from government or from anybody else. I am taking retirement for my personal reasons. After retirement, I will go to my village in Buldhana district and engage myself in spiritual pursuit. I will also spread awareness about irrigation in rural sector of the state," he said.
In his letter to Chavan, Pandhare had highlighted alleged irregularities surrounding various irrigation projects in the state.
Pandhare, who is a member of the state-level technical advisory committee, wrote a stinging 15-page note to the state government, blaming the politician-officer-contractor nexus for the illegalities.
Pandhare has served on various posts in his 32 years of service so far and had been transferred 16 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read