Is sanction needed to prosecute Chavan in Adarsh case, asks HC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday sought to know from CBI if sanction was required to prosecute former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan on corruption charges in the Adarsh Housing scam case.
Justice Sadhana Jadhav raised the query while hearing a revision petition filed by CBI seeking permission to delete Chavan`s name from the FIR in the case following refusal of grant of sanction to prosecute from Maharashtra Governor Kateekal Sankaranaryanan.
The agency had approached the high court last month after the trial court refused to delete Chavan`s name from the FIR filed by CBI in January 2011.
Chavan and 12 others were booked under section 120 (b) of the Indian Penal Code for criminal conspiracy and under various charges of corruption under the Prevention of Corruption (PC) Act.
"Do you (CBI) need sanction to prosecute under the general law of IPC ?" Justice Jadhav asked.
CBI lawyer Hiten Venegaonkar told the court that sanction to prosecute under IPC was required as Chavan was a sitting MLA and former Chief Minister and Revenue Minister at the time when the alleged offence was committed.
"Without sanction to prosecute him (Chavan) under section 120 (b) of IPC, the agency cannot proceed to prosecute him under section 13 (1) (d) of the PC Act independently," Venegaonkar said.
The court then issued notice to Ashok Chavan and Maharashtra government and posted the petition for hearing on June 10.
CBI had filed a chargesheet in the case against 13 people, including 55-year-old Chavan, who is contesting upcoming Lok Sabha elections from Nanded, pending sanction from the Governor. The trial court is yet to take cognisance of it.
The former Chief Minister had earlier filed a petition in the high court seeking the case to be quashed against him as CBI had no jurisdiction to probe the case as neither the state government nor the High Court had passed an order handing over probe to the central agency.
Chavan had stepped down as CM after the scam came to light in 2010.
CBI had accused Chavan of approving additional floor space index for Adarsh Society in return for two flats for his relatives. He was also charged with illegally approving, as the then Revenue Minister, allotment of 40 per cent of the flats to civilians when the Society was allegedly meant only for Kargil war widows and defence personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday