Issue of sanction to prosecute Chavan not in our purview: CBI
Mumbai: The CBI Friday told the Bombay High Court that it was not within its purview to go into Maharashtra governor`s refusal to sanction prosecution of former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan in the Adarsh Housing society case.
In an affidavit, CBI said the governor had refused to grant sanction to prosecute Chavan, but the issue was outside its purview.
The affidavit came in response to a PIL filed by former journalist Ketan Tirodkar, seeking prosecution of Chavan and some others in Adarsh case.
The division bench headed by Justice P V Hardas asked Tirodkar to file a rejoinder by August 8.
According to the PIL, there was no need for a sanction to prosecute Chavan. However, CBI argued that for offences under Prevention of Corruption Act, no sanction was needed as Chavan had ceased to be the chief minister when the charge sheet was filed; but for offences under the IPC such as cheating and conspiracy, sanction was required from competent authority (Governor in Chavan`s case).
The court also sought a report on probe into "benami" (proxy) purchases of flats in the society. In many cases, people, as proxies for prominent political leaders, allegedly bought flats in the multi-story Adarsh society, the PIL alleged.
The society allegedly came up in violation of various civic and environmental rules. The CBI charge sheet last year had named Chavan and 12 others as accused.
Chavan is accused of granting illegal concessions to the society in return for two flats for his relatives.
The CBI affidavit, while seeking dismissal of PIL, said that investigation was over and charge sheet was filed against R C Thakur and 12 others on July 4, 2012. Further, supplementary charge sheet was also filed under Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Act against 21 benami flat holders and 24 financers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp