IT officer arrested in bribe case, senior officer under scanner
Mumbai: After arresting a woman Income Tax official for allegedly seeking bribe of Rs 6 lakh for not scrutinising returns of a private firm, the CBI is probing the role of an additional commissioner in the case.
The central agency`s anti-corruption bureau arrested MM Chouhan, Income Tax officer from Thane, yesterday, it said in a statement this evening.
According to a senior CBI officer, the accused had demanded the bribe on behalf of an additional commissioner of IT. "We are probing his role too," the officer said.
"In September, the accused demanded Rs 2.50 lakh bribe from the complainant, which she later increased to Rs 6 lakh. She told the complainant if the bribe was not paid immediately, a survey will be conducted at his firm," the press statement said.
A trap was laid and she was caught red handed accepting first instalment of Rs 1.50 lakh. "The remaining Rs 4.50 lakh were to be paid after a week," the statement said.
Searches were conducted at the office and house of the accused and incriminating documents pertaining to the case and others relating to investments made by her were seized.
Chouhan was produced before the special CBI court which remanded her in CBI custody till November 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested