IT officer arrested in bribe case, senior officer under scanner
Mumbai: After arresting a woman Income Tax official for allegedly seeking bribe of Rs 6 lakh for not scrutinising returns of a private firm, the CBI is probing the role of an additional commissioner in the case.
The central agency`s anti-corruption bureau arrested MM Chouhan, Income Tax officer from Thane, yesterday, it said in a statement this evening.
According to a senior CBI officer, the accused had demanded the bribe on behalf of an additional commissioner of IT. "We are probing his role too," the officer said.
"In September, the accused demanded Rs 2.50 lakh bribe from the complainant, which she later increased to Rs 6 lakh. She told the complainant if the bribe was not paid immediately, a survey will be conducted at his firm," the press statement said.
A trap was laid and she was caught red handed accepting first instalment of Rs 1.50 lakh. "The remaining Rs 4.50 lakh were to be paid after a week," the statement said.
Searches were conducted at the office and house of the accused and incriminating documents pertaining to the case and others relating to investments made by her were seized.
Chouhan was produced before the special CBI court which remanded her in CBI custody till November 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'