IT officer arrested in bribe case, senior officer under scanner
Mumbai: After arresting a woman Income Tax official for allegedly seeking bribe of Rs 6 lakh for not scrutinising returns of a private firm, the CBI is probing the role of an additional commissioner in the case.
The central agency`s anti-corruption bureau arrested MM Chouhan, Income Tax officer from Thane, yesterday, it said in a statement this evening.
According to a senior CBI officer, the accused had demanded the bribe on behalf of an additional commissioner of IT. "We are probing his role too," the officer said.
"In September, the accused demanded Rs 2.50 lakh bribe from the complainant, which she later increased to Rs 6 lakh. She told the complainant if the bribe was not paid immediately, a survey will be conducted at his firm," the press statement said.
A trap was laid and she was caught red handed accepting first instalment of Rs 1.50 lakh. "The remaining Rs 4.50 lakh were to be paid after a week," the statement said.
Searches were conducted at the office and house of the accused and incriminating documents pertaining to the case and others relating to investments made by her were seized.
Chouhan was produced before the special CBI court which remanded her in CBI custody till November 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview