IT raids vault-owners; hawala transactions under scanner
Mumbai: Searches are being conducted by the Income Tax Department at the offices of the operators who offer safe-vault services to small-time gold traders at Jhaveri Bazar here to unearth `hawala` transactions.
Searches started a few days ago and were still continuing, an I-T department source said here.
Till now Rs 5 crore cash has been seized, they said.
"We conduct searches at Zaveri Bazar every year," the source said.
The objective is to find out if hawala operators are using such private safe deposit vaults.
I-T sleuths have till now searched the offices of 34 vault service providers, and the traders whose gold they were securing are also being questioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?