IT raids vault-owners; hawala transactions under scanner
Mumbai: Searches are being conducted by the Income Tax Department at the offices of the operators who offer safe-vault services to small-time gold traders at Jhaveri Bazar here to unearth `hawala` transactions.
Searches started a few days ago and were still continuing, an I-T department source said here.
Till now Rs 5 crore cash has been seized, they said.
"We conduct searches at Zaveri Bazar every year," the source said.
The objective is to find out if hawala operators are using such private safe deposit vaults.
I-T sleuths have till now searched the offices of 34 vault service providers, and the traders whose gold they were securing are also being questioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says