IT raids vault-owners; hawala transactions under scanner
Mumbai: Searches are being conducted by the Income Tax Department at the offices of the operators who offer safe-vault services to small-time gold traders at Jhaveri Bazar here to unearth `hawala` transactions.
Searches started a few days ago and were still continuing, an I-T department source said here.
Till now Rs 5 crore cash has been seized, they said.
"We conduct searches at Zaveri Bazar every year," the source said.
The objective is to find out if hawala operators are using such private safe deposit vaults.
I-T sleuths have till now searched the offices of 34 vault service providers, and the traders whose gold they were securing are also being questioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"