IT raids vault-owners; hawala transactions under scanner
Mumbai: Searches are being conducted by the Income Tax Department at the offices of the operators who offer safe-vault services to small-time gold traders at Jhaveri Bazar here to unearth `hawala` transactions.
Searches started a few days ago and were still continuing, an I-T department source said here.
Till now Rs 5 crore cash has been seized, they said.
"We conduct searches at Zaveri Bazar every year," the source said.
The objective is to find out if hawala operators are using such private safe deposit vaults.
I-T sleuths have till now searched the offices of 34 vault service providers, and the traders whose gold they were securing are also being questioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Day after 30 cows found dead, police chalks out plan to prevent smuggling
- Mathura violence: Two security staff of Ram Vriksh Yadav arrested
- 'Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government wasting public money for image makeover'
- Kiran Bedi seeks banks' help for 'prosperous' Puducherry
- Now, helmet compulsory for pillion riders in Uttar Pradesh