IT raids vault-owners; hawala transactions under scanner
Mumbai: Searches are being conducted by the Income Tax Department at the offices of the operators who offer safe-vault services to small-time gold traders at Jhaveri Bazar here to unearth `hawala` transactions.
Searches started a few days ago and were still continuing, an I-T department source said here.
Till now Rs 5 crore cash has been seized, they said.
"We conduct searches at Zaveri Bazar every year," the source said.
The objective is to find out if hawala operators are using such private safe deposit vaults.
I-T sleuths have till now searched the offices of 34 vault service providers, and the traders whose gold they were securing are also being questioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown