It`s final, Campa Cola residents have to vacate illegal flats by May 31
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: In a big setback for hundreds of unauthorised residents of the Campa Cola society in Mumbai, the Supreme Court on Monday refused to grant them further extension to vacate their houses.
According to reports, the apex court, while hearing their plea for extension, asked them to vacate their illegal premises by May 31, 2014, stating that no more time will be granted to them in this regard.
The apex court had given the residents seven months in November last year to vacate the illegal flats in the compound as there was no relocation plan in place.
During the previous hearing, Attorney General GE Vahanvati had told the apex court that no specific proposal could be worked out for enabling new construction in the compound.
Vahanvati had earlier indicated that the present flats to the extent they are unauthorised will be demolished and in the vacant land new flats will be constructed for the affected residents. However, no relocation plan could be worked out.
The apex court had last year suspended the demolition of 96 flats of the Campa Cola housing complex till further orders.
The SC bench of Justice GS Singhvi and Justice C Nagappan suspended the demolition of 96 flats which were to be pulled down by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on an earlier apex court order.
In the beginning of 2013, the apex court ordered the demolition of these flats because of violation by the builders. These flats were constructed three decades ago without the permission of the Mumbai`s civic body and hence were declared illegal. More than 140 families have been residing in the complex for the past 25 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM