J Dey case: Court extends custody of accused
Mumbai: The custody of the seven accused,
arrested in connection with the murder of senior journalist J
Dey, was extended till July 8 by a local court on Monday.
The police told the court that they wanted to further
question the accused in the backdrop of the arrest of the
bookie-turned-builder and Chhota Rajan aide, Vinod Asrani
alias Vinod Chembur.
With Asrani`s arrest, the number of those held so far
in connection with the case has reached eight.
Asrani, who was produced before a local court
yesterday, remanded in police custody till July 7, police had
The police had last week arrested apprehended Rohee
Thangappan Joseph alias Satish Kalya (34) and his associates
Abhijeet Shinde (28), Arun Dake (27), Sachin Gaikwad (27),
Anil Waghmode (35), Nilesh Shendge (34) and Mangesh
Agawane(25) from the state and Tamil Nadu.
Dey (56), working with Mid Day, was shot dead by four
motorcycle-borne assailants in suburban Powai on June 11.
Police claimed that Dey was eliminated at the behest
of fugitive gangster Chhota Rajan, who allegedly paid Rs five
lakh to the accused to get the `job` done.
However, they said the motive behind the killing was
not yet clear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city