J Dey case: Court extends custody of accused
Mumbai: The custody of the seven accused,
arrested in connection with the murder of senior journalist J
Dey, was extended till July 8 by a local court on Monday.
The police told the court that they wanted to further
question the accused in the backdrop of the arrest of the
bookie-turned-builder and Chhota Rajan aide, Vinod Asrani
alias Vinod Chembur.
With Asrani`s arrest, the number of those held so far
in connection with the case has reached eight.
Asrani, who was produced before a local court
yesterday, remanded in police custody till July 7, police had
The police had last week arrested apprehended Rohee
Thangappan Joseph alias Satish Kalya (34) and his associates
Abhijeet Shinde (28), Arun Dake (27), Sachin Gaikwad (27),
Anil Waghmode (35), Nilesh Shendge (34) and Mangesh
Agawane(25) from the state and Tamil Nadu.
Dey (56), working with Mid Day, was shot dead by four
motorcycle-borne assailants in suburban Powai on June 11.
Police claimed that Dey was eliminated at the behest
of fugitive gangster Chhota Rajan, who allegedly paid Rs five
lakh to the accused to get the `job` done.
However, they said the motive behind the killing was
not yet clear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason