J Dey murder: 1 more petition seeks CBI inquiry
Mumbai: One more Public Interest Litigation (PIL) has been filed in the Bombay High Court, seeking CBI probe into the murder of senior journalist J Dey and inquiry by the same agency into the alleged growing nexus between sections of Mumbai police and the underworld.
The PIL, filed by S Balakrishnan, editor of Deshbhakti Andolan Weekly, an English tabloid, on Saturday, will come up for hearing on June 21, along with other petitions, which are also seeking a CBI probe into Dey`s killing.
Others, who have filed petitions, include the Press Club, Mumbai, Marathi Patrakar Parishad, advocate VP Patil and former scribe Ketan Tirodkar.
In the petition, Balakrishnan has stated that the growing nexus between the men in uniform and gangland was a matter of deep concern and had serious implications for the civil society.
He said that the dismissal of inspectors Aslam Momin and Pradeep Sharma for their alleged links with gangsters and the suspension of five police officials for dancing with gangsters pointed out a worrisome trend.
He also noted in the petition that more recently, Pune police commissioner Meeran Borwankar confirmed that she had ordered an inquiry into tapes of alleged conversations between Deputy Commissioner of Police Pradip Sawant, who is currently
posted with the Anti-Terrorist Squad, Mumbai, and Chhota Shakeel, chief lieutenant of Dawood Ibrahim. Balakrishnan has stated that the Vohra Committee had noted in its report, submitted in 1993, that in 1986, the CBI had conducted an inquiry into the nexus between the Mumbai police and underworld.
The committee had then called for a fresh inquiry, but this was not done by the government. Hence, it was necessary that a fresh probe be conducted by the CBI in a time-bound manner and the findings of the inquiry should be submitted to the Bombay High Court.
Balakrishnan has prayed that the High Court directs the CBI to conduct a fresh inquiry. He has also sought a criminal action against all those officers, who have been found guilty by the CBI.
The petition also has sought a CBI inquiry into the murder of J Dey, reporter of Mid-Day, since the Mumbai police have been unable to make any headway, despite several days after the sensational assassination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?