J Dey murder accused seeks extension of bail on health grounds
Mumbai: Real Estate developer Vinod Asrani, alias Vinod Chembur, an accused in the murder of journalist Jyotirmoy Dey, on Friday moved the Bombay High Court seeking extention of bail granted to him earlier on medical grounds.
His lawyer Adhik Shirodkar told a bench of Justices PV Hardas and Reveti Dhere that Asrani had chronic liver and kidney problems and needed constant medical attention which was not possible in jail. Hence, Asrani was urging extension of bail given to him in December last year on the same ground.
Hearing the plea, the bench asked the prosecution to file its say on September 20 and adjourned the matter until then.
The same bench had on Tuesday dismissed Asrani`s plea for discharge while relying upon a confession of a co-accused which allegedly hinted at the role played by Asrani in the conspiracy.
The High Court, however, after perusing the material submitted by the prosecution, held that there was prima facie evidence against Asrani.
Shirodkar said the police had in their possession a recorded telephonic conversation between gangster Chhota Rajan and his associate wherein the former said that Asrani was unnecessarily arrested in the case and that he was not involved.
Asrani is accused of calling Dey to a suburban hotel and identifying him to members of Chhota Rajan gang who allegedly shot the journalist dead in suburban Powai on June 11, 2011.
A month after Dey was shot dead, Asrani was arrested under stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away in Chennai after suffering cardiac arrest; PM Modi pays tribute to Tamil Nadu CM
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what