J Dey murder case cracked, 7 detained
Mumbai: Sixteen days after crime reporter Jyotirmoy Dey was shot dead, Mumbai Police`s Crime Branch on Monday cracked the murder case with the detention of seven persons.
Home Minister R R Patil said three people were
arrested from Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu, one from Solapur and
three from Mumbai.
"All the seven hail from Maharashtra," he said.
"Mumbai police commissioner and joint commissioner of
police have informed me about the development," Patil said.
He identified two of the accused as Satish Kalya and
"I have announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh for the
Mumbai Crime Branch team for exemplary work they have done in
the case," Patil said.
A police source said that an underworld
link was surfacing in the incident and is being verified.
Meanwhile, all the accused were produced in the Kila Court – which sent them on police remand till July 4.
J Dey (56), working with the city-based English
tabloid Mid Day, was shot dead by four motorcycle-borne
assailants in suburban Powai on June 11.
Dey was shot at from close range, reportedly by professionals, and a total of 5 bullets entered his body.
The murder of the veteran scribe had sent shockwaves and the Mumbai police were probing the case from all angles.
The police had also examined Dey`s laptop and a hard disk besides some important documents to get a lead in the sensational murder.
Various journalists` associations have been demanding a CBI probe, but it was ruled out by the Maharashtra government
The Bombay High Court had recently directed the police to file a report by July 6 on the progress of investigations into Dey`s murder.
Assistant commissioner of police (ACP) Anil Mahabole, who was in-charge of Azad Maidan division in south Mumbai, was also shunted out to the Local Arms Control Room in suburban Naigaon after his name cropped up in the case.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt