J Dey murder case cracked, 7 detained
Mumbai: Sixteen days after crime reporter Jyotirmoy Dey was shot dead, Mumbai Police`s Crime Branch on Monday cracked the murder case with the detention of seven persons.
Home Minister R R Patil said three people were
arrested from Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu, one from Solapur and
three from Mumbai.
"All the seven hail from Maharashtra," he said.
"Mumbai police commissioner and joint commissioner of
police have informed me about the development," Patil said.
He identified two of the accused as Satish Kalya and
"I have announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh for the
Mumbai Crime Branch team for exemplary work they have done in
the case," Patil said.
A police source said that an underworld
link was surfacing in the incident and is being verified.
Meanwhile, all the accused were produced in the Kila Court – which sent them on police remand till July 4.
J Dey (56), working with the city-based English
tabloid Mid Day, was shot dead by four motorcycle-borne
assailants in suburban Powai on June 11.
Dey was shot at from close range, reportedly by professionals, and a total of 5 bullets entered his body.
The murder of the veteran scribe had sent shockwaves and the Mumbai police were probing the case from all angles.
The police had also examined Dey`s laptop and a hard disk besides some important documents to get a lead in the sensational murder.
Various journalists` associations have been demanding a CBI probe, but it was ruled out by the Maharashtra government
The Bombay High Court had recently directed the police to file a report by July 6 on the progress of investigations into Dey`s murder.
Assistant commissioner of police (ACP) Anil Mahabole, who was in-charge of Azad Maidan division in south Mumbai, was also shunted out to the Local Arms Control Room in suburban Naigaon after his name cropped up in the case.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Thanks to natural forces, Antarctic temperature falls! But it's temporary
- I wanted to bat in the top seven for a long time, reveals Ravichandran Ashwin
- Ugly spat: Renuka Chowdhury reacts to Harsimrat Kaur's 'Kachra' allegation, calls it 'cheap political drama'
- Three suspects arrested in Florida for trying to join terror group ISIS
- PM Modi pays tribute to Chandra Shekhar Azad, Bal Gangadhar Tilak on birth anniversaries