J Dey murder: Chhota Rajan aide arrested
Mumbai: An alleged bookie and aide of
underworld don Chhota Rajan, who is suspected to have had a
key role in the killing of senior crime reporter Jyotirmoy
Dey, was on Sunday arrested, taking the total number of arrests in
the case to eight.
"Vinod Asrani alias Vinod Chembur, a bookie who was
suspected to have helped the shooters identify Dey, was picked
up for questioning and subsequently arrested," said a Crime
"We have information that he (Asrani) held a meeting
with shooters days before the murder and also handed over
money to the killers," the official alleged.
Asrani was produced before a local court, which
remanded him to police custody till July seven, the official
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy and
Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Deven Bharti were
unavailable for comment on the development. Neither of them
replied to text messages.
Last Sunday night, police had arrested gunman Rohee
Thangappan Joseph alias Satish Kalya (34) and his associates
Abhijeet Shinde (28), Arun Dake (27), Sachin Gaikwad (27),
Anil Waghmode (35), Nilesh Shendge (34) and Mangesh Agawane
(25) in connection with Dey`s murder.
J Dey (56), working with the city-based English
tabloid Mid Day, was shot dead by four motorcycle-borne
assailants in suburban Powai on June 11.
Police claimed the journalist was eliminated at the
behest of Rajan, who paid Rs five lakh to the accused.
However, they said the motive behind the killing was not yet
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter