J Dey murder: Police custody of accused extended
Mumbai: The police remand of the seven persons accused in the murder of senior crime reporter of tabloid Mid-Day, Joytirmoy Dey, has been extended by a designated court at Mumbai.
The police remand of Rohee Thangappan Joseph alias Satish Kalya (34) and his associates Abhijeet Shinde (28), Arun Dake (27), Sachin Gaikwad (27), Anil Waghmode (35), Nilesh Shendge (34) and Mangesh Agawane (25) has been extended till July 8.
Mumbai Police have also questioned D K Rao, a former associate of absconding mafia don Chhota Rajan, who is said to have organized the murder of Dey last month.
Rao has said that he has severed his links with Chota Rajan and had no role in Dey`s murder.
Dey was gunned down on June 11.
Known for his deep knowledge of the city’s underworld and extensive network of informers, Dey had led a team of crime and investigative reporters and had authored books on different gangs, involved in carrying out organised crime in the city.
His murder led to a nationwide uproar from the journalist fraternity demanding a stringent law to protect newsmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'