J Dey murder: Police custody of accused extended
Mumbai: The police remand of the seven persons accused in the murder of senior crime reporter of tabloid Mid-Day, Joytirmoy Dey, has been extended by a designated court at Mumbai.
The police remand of Rohee Thangappan Joseph alias Satish Kalya (34) and his associates Abhijeet Shinde (28), Arun Dake (27), Sachin Gaikwad (27), Anil Waghmode (35), Nilesh Shendge (34) and Mangesh Agawane (25) has been extended till July 8.
Mumbai Police have also questioned D K Rao, a former associate of absconding mafia don Chhota Rajan, who is said to have organized the murder of Dey last month.
Rao has said that he has severed his links with Chota Rajan and had no role in Dey`s murder.
Dey was gunned down on June 11.
Known for his deep knowledge of the city’s underworld and extensive network of informers, Dey had led a team of crime and investigative reporters and had authored books on different gangs, involved in carrying out organised crime in the city.
His murder led to a nationwide uproar from the journalist fraternity demanding a stringent law to protect newsmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj