Jaitapur N-project will be completed: Pawar
Mumbai: The Jaitapur nuclear project will
come up in coastal Konkan despite opposition to it,
Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Friday informed
the state Legislative Council.
The government has taken all precautionary measures to
ensure all safety parameters are implemented, the minister
"We have taken the opinion of experts, including former
Atomic Energy Chairman Anil Kakodkar and all are supporting
the project," he said.
"No matter the opposition to it, the project will come
up," Pawar said, replying to a debate initiated by opposition
leader Pandurang Phundkar and others, who said the project is
not viable at the present site.
A good package has been offered to the project affected
people of Jaitapur, Pawar said.
The construction of the project will be so strong that
even if an aircraft were to hit it, like the 9/11 terrorist
attack on the World Trade Centre, nothing will happen to it,
As per marine life experts, there would no danger to
marine life including fish, due to the project, Pawar said.
Earlier, project affected people received compensation of
Rs 48,000 to Rs one lakh but now the government has increased
the compensation amount manifold, he said. The government has
also decided to provide job to project affected people, he
Earlier, Shiv Sena leader Ramdas Kadam said some agencies
have submitted reports which are against the project. The
project area is earthquake prone, he added.
Shiv Sena MLC Deepak Sawant asked if the French company
Areva, involved in the project, was capable of building such a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'