Jaitapur plant site `safest` in world: Maha govt
Mumbai: Keen to set up 9,900 MW nuclear
power plant at Jaitapur, which is facing opposition from
various quarters, the Maharashtra Government on Friday said the
proposed project site in Konkan region is the "safest" in the
"A day will come when coal (reserves) will end.
Therefore, alternate sources of energy will have to be
identified," Minister of State for Power Rajendra Mulak said
in the Legislative Council.
He was replying to discussion on a Bill to amend
Mumbai Power Rates Act, which was passed in the Upper House.
Although nuclear power is a contentious issue from the
safety point of view, the site of proposed power plant at
Jaitapur is the "safest" as it is located 20 meters above sea
level, the Minister maintained.
The multi-billion project, to be built in association
with French nuclear engineering firm Areva, is facing
opposition from Shiv Sena and various NGOs over environmental
and geological issues.
On measures taken by the Government to increase power
supply, Mulak said MahaGenco, state power utility`s generation
arm, would undertake capacity building at Kaparkheda Thermal
Power Station near Nagpur in 15-20 days.
"Synchronisation of thermal power plants will also be
undertaken at Parli, Paras (Akola), Kardi, Bhusawal, among
other places," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog