Jaitapur plant site `safest` in world: Maha govt
Mumbai: Keen to set up 9,900 MW nuclear
power plant at Jaitapur, which is facing opposition from
various quarters, the Maharashtra Government on Friday said the
proposed project site in Konkan region is the "safest" in the
"A day will come when coal (reserves) will end.
Therefore, alternate sources of energy will have to be
identified," Minister of State for Power Rajendra Mulak said
in the Legislative Council.
He was replying to discussion on a Bill to amend
Mumbai Power Rates Act, which was passed in the Upper House.
Although nuclear power is a contentious issue from the
safety point of view, the site of proposed power plant at
Jaitapur is the "safest" as it is located 20 meters above sea
level, the Minister maintained.
The multi-billion project, to be built in association
with French nuclear engineering firm Areva, is facing
opposition from Shiv Sena and various NGOs over environmental
and geological issues.
On measures taken by the Government to increase power
supply, Mulak said MahaGenco, state power utility`s generation
arm, would undertake capacity building at Kaparkheda Thermal
Power Station near Nagpur in 15-20 days.
"Synchronisation of thermal power plants will also be
undertaken at Parli, Paras (Akola), Kardi, Bhusawal, among
other places," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing
- Instead of holidaying in Bangkok, Ravi Shastri should have been physically present for high-profile coach interview: Sourav Ganguly
- Freedom 251: Will Ringing Bells ever deliver the Rs 251 smartphone?
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 606—Tanushree's plan to denigrate Pragya ends with a facepalm