Jalgaon housing scam: Former Maha minister arrested
Jalgaon: Former Maharashtra minister Gulabrao Deokar was Tuesday arrested in connection with the multi-crore `Gharkul` housing scam in Jalgaon, police said.
Deokar, the former guardian minister of Jalgaon, surrendered at the city police station here at around noon following which he was arrested.
The NCP leader was then produced before a local court which remanded him in judicial custody till January 3, 2014, and sent him to Dhule sub-jail, police said.
Last year, Jalgaon police had sought government permission to prosecute Deokar in the case and had even arrested him in May 2012 for his alleged involvement in the 15-year old mass housing scam.
However, he was granted bail by a local court, but the Bombay High Court had later cancelled it.
Deokar, a co-accused along with former housing minister Suresh Jain in the case, had subsequently moved the Supreme Court to evade arrest but the apex court earlier this month directed him to surrender in connection with the scam.
Deokar, NCP`s face in Jalgaon in north Maharashtra, faces charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery and corruption in the scam involving fraud in the construction of 11,000 low cost houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?