Jan Lokpal Bill to help Vidarbha farmers: Kejriwal
Amravati: Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal has said corruption is one the major factors behind farmer suicides in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, and the Jan Lokpal Bill will bring relief to the distressed peasants.
"Despite whooping amounts sanctioned by the government to curb suicides in the region, it is not reaching the needy farmers because of corruption," Kejriwal, who was here to address a public meeting organised by People for India Forum at Shivaji BPEd College, told reporters last evening.
Farmers are not getting proper price for their cotton; the prices have been kept low deliberately, it’s all happening because of corruption, he said.
Kejriwal said he was not claiming that all agrarian crises will end after introduction of Jan Lokpal Bill, "but it will definitely give some relief to distressed farmers. I can assure that farmers will not commit suicides."
On the Nagpur incident, he accused the media of spread "false stories" about the programme, even though it was held properly.
"When I learnt that some people waived black flags I requested volunteers to call those people who`re demonstrating at the venue but when our volunteers reached there, police had nabbed them. Those people are also part of our country and I wanted to talk to them but before that police rounded them up," Kejriwal said.
He appealed to the media to exercise refrain or else it spoils the atmosphere.
Speaking about the controversial blog and Raju Parulekar`s claim that Anna wanted to remove Kejriwal and others from the team, he said: "I don`t know why Raju made this statement. There are no differences between Anna and me.
Only he (Raju) can explain better (about the issue)."
Blogger and journalist Parulekar had claimed that the veteran Gandhian wanted to remove "undemocratic and fascist" Kejriwal, Kiran Bedi, Prashant Bhushan and "their pawns" from his core group.
The fallout between Hazare and Parulekar came as the former claimed that he never ever spoke to the journalist or met him on the issue of re-structuring of Core Committee and forming a new Pan-Indian organisation with immediate effect.
Talking about why Anna felt the need to reconstitute the core committee, Kejriwal said that "we want reconstitution so that more people could come in to make a strong Lokpal. The Core Committee will be formed in next two to three months."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins