Jawans allegedly scuffle with Maharashtra police, Army orders inquiry

In what can point fingers at the chivalry of soldiers, a group of 50-60 Army jawans on Wednesday vandalised a police station in Nashik and misbehaved with a woman staff.

Pune: A group of 50-60 Army jawans on Wednesday allegedly vandalised a police station in Nashik and misbehaved with a woman staff.

In a protest against the arrest of an Army officer, the jawans attacked the policemen inside the police station and ransacked the police property. Nearly three policemen have got injured in the attack.

Upnagar Police Station inspector Namrata Desai said that around six Army jawans have been detained in this connection.

An army officer, from nearby School of Artillery at Devlali Camp, had allegedly parked his vehicle near the Upnagar Police Station last night, which led to an altercation between him and police. Later, an FIR was registered against the officer who was subsequently arrested.

However, on Wednesday afternoon, a group of jawans in civilian clothes attacked the policemen inside the police station. They also locked a woman police officer in a room and damaged several police vehicles parked outside the station, said Desai.

The three injured constables were later admitted to Nashik Civil hospital, Desai added. City Police Commissioner Kulwant Kumar Sarangal and other personnel rushed to the spot. A panchanama of the incident was being conducted, she said.

Meanwhile, the Army has ordered an inquiry into the alleged vandalisation. "We have ordered an inquiry into the incident. Our Commander there is meeting with the Nashik police chief to sort out the matter," Army sources were quoted as saying by PTI.

Army sources here refuted the allegations. They said that Lieutenant Ramdas from Artillery School, Devlali, had gone to the police station with his uncle to register a case regarding a family dispute.

"Apparently, his bike was not parked properly and this led to an altercation. The police personnel roughed him up and locked up him and his uncle. The issue was finally resolved at about 5:30 AM in the morning following the intervention of senior officials.

"However, when the offer reached back, it was found that he had serious injury marks on his body and an agitated group of about 25 officers went to the police station where there was an argument," Army sources said.

The jawans were in civilian clothes when they attacked the police station.

(With PTI inputs)

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link