JD murder: Jigna, Rajan aide in custody till Dec 9
Mumbai: Journalist Jigna Vora and Chhota
Rajan gang member Paulson Joseph, arrested in connection with
the Jyotirmoy Dey murder, were sent to police custody till
December 9 by a local court on Monday.
Vora`s police custody was extended after public
prosecutor Dilip Shah argued that new material had come to
light in the last few days and this needed to be probed. He
also said that Vora was not cooperating in investigation.
Shah said a lady who was known to Vora had given the
police a mobile phone saying it belonged to the journalist
while one more cell phone of Vora was yet to be recovered.
Besides, two more witnesses have come forward to give their
statements in the case.
Paulson, charged with giving Rs 5 lakh contract money to
killers on the instructions of Chhota Rajan, was also produced
before the special court which remanded him in police custody.
Earlier, Paulson was in judicial custody and police wanted him
in their custody to confront him with Vora.
Vora, deputy chief of bureau of Asian Age, was recently
arrested under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act
(MCOCA) on charges of supplying licence plate number of the
motorcycle and address of the slain journalist to Rajan.
Dey, working with city-based tabloid Mid Day, was shot
dead on the orders of Rajan, who allegedly gave Rs 5 lakh to
the accused for the killing that took place in suburban Powai
on June 11.
Vora`s lawyer Santosh Chari argued that police had so far
gathered technical evidence against her and for this her
police custody was not required.
Later, speaking to reporters, Joint Commissioner of
Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy said one more mobile phone of Vora
had been recovered from her friend and would be sent to
forensic lab for analysis.
At this stage of probe, the investigators have six mobile
phones of Vora in their custody. "All these phones and a
memory card have been sent to forensic laboratory for
analysis," Roy said, adding among the six, two are
Blackberrys, one is an iPhone and one is a Samsung phone.
Roy stated that some new developments emerged during the
investigation which is why Vora and Paulson`s custody was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister