Jet Airways co-pilot gets bail
Mumbai: A sessions court on Monday granted bail to a co-pilot with private air carrier Jet Airways, arrested for allegedly raping an air-hostess on several occasions since
May 2009 on the pretext of marrying her.
Varun Agarwal (27) was arrested on May 29 from the suburban domestic airport here for allegedly raping a 22-year-old air hostess, who was in a live-in relationship with him.
Additional sessions judge NP Dhote today granted Varun
bail on a surety of Rs 25,000 after accepting the accused`s
argument that his custody is no longer required by the police.
"The court has directed Varun not to leave the country
and to not tamper with evidence or interfere with the police
investigation," his lawyer Laxman Kanal said.
Varun has been booked for rape, cheating, causing hurt
and criminal intimidation.
According to the police, the accused, who joined Jet
Airways in 2006, started luring the victim since 2008, a year
after she joined the air carrier.
Varun had proposed marriage to the victim, who rejected
it several times. In 2008, she relented and agreed to his
proposal and moved into his house in May 2009. However after a
few months, Varun allegedly started assaulting her and
threatened to throw acid on her face if she left him.
The victim then approached the police and lodged a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok