Jethmalani pleads for disqualification of Ashok Chavan
New Delhi: Eminent jurist Ram Jethmalani on Friday pleaded for the disqualification of former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan for alllegedly resorting to paid
news in the Assembly polls in the state last year.
Jethmalani, appearing for BJP`s Kirit Somaiya before the Election Commission which is hearing the petition against Chavan, said that the former chief minister did not properly
present election expenses.
He also contended that since the EC was acting as a tribunal in the case, the Evidence Act was applicable making it mandatory for the concerned newspapers to file affidavits
in support of their claims against publishing paid news of Chavan.
Sources said that Abhishek Singhvi, appearing for Chavan, would be arguing on January four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan