Jethmalani pleads for disqualification of Ashok Chavan
New Delhi: Eminent jurist Ram Jethmalani on Friday pleaded for the disqualification of former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan for alllegedly resorting to paid
news in the Assembly polls in the state last year.
Jethmalani, appearing for BJP`s Kirit Somaiya before the Election Commission which is hearing the petition against Chavan, said that the former chief minister did not properly
present election expenses.
He also contended that since the EC was acting as a tribunal in the case, the Evidence Act was applicable making it mandatory for the concerned newspapers to file affidavits
in support of their claims against publishing paid news of Chavan.
Sources said that Abhishek Singhvi, appearing for Chavan, would be arguing on January four.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know