Jethmalani pleads for disqualification of Ashok Chavan
New Delhi: Eminent jurist Ram Jethmalani on Friday pleaded for the disqualification of former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan for alllegedly resorting to paid
news in the Assembly polls in the state last year.
Jethmalani, appearing for BJP`s Kirit Somaiya before the Election Commission which is hearing the petition against Chavan, said that the former chief minister did not properly
present election expenses.
He also contended that since the EC was acting as a tribunal in the case, the Evidence Act was applicable making it mandatory for the concerned newspapers to file affidavits
in support of their claims against publishing paid news of Chavan.
Sources said that Abhishek Singhvi, appearing for Chavan, would be arguing on January four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway