Jethmalani pleads for disqualification of Ashok Chavan
New Delhi: Eminent jurist Ram Jethmalani on Friday pleaded for the disqualification of former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan for alllegedly resorting to paid
news in the Assembly polls in the state last year.
Jethmalani, appearing for BJP`s Kirit Somaiya before the Election Commission which is hearing the petition against Chavan, said that the former chief minister did not properly
present election expenses.
He also contended that since the EC was acting as a tribunal in the case, the Evidence Act was applicable making it mandatory for the concerned newspapers to file affidavits
in support of their claims against publishing paid news of Chavan.
Sources said that Abhishek Singhvi, appearing for Chavan, would be arguing on January four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military unveils new weapons after South China Sea verdict
- Pakistan PM chairs meeting on Kashmir
- Kashmir unrest: Rajnath to embark on two-day visit to Valley
- Waiting for the day Kashmir becomes part of Pakistan: Nawaz Sharif
- Must Watch: What Nawaz Sharif's daughter has to say about PML-N's victory in PoK polls