Jethmalani pleads for disqualification of Ashok Chavan
New Delhi: Eminent jurist Ram Jethmalani on Friday pleaded for the disqualification of former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan for alllegedly resorting to paid
news in the Assembly polls in the state last year.
Jethmalani, appearing for BJP`s Kirit Somaiya before the Election Commission which is hearing the petition against Chavan, said that the former chief minister did not properly
present election expenses.
He also contended that since the EC was acting as a tribunal in the case, the Evidence Act was applicable making it mandatory for the concerned newspapers to file affidavits
in support of their claims against publishing paid news of Chavan.
Sources said that Abhishek Singhvi, appearing for Chavan, would be arguing on January four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today