Jewish Chabad House was on terror radar: Pune IG
Pune: Reiterating Union Home Minister P Chidambaram’s stance of there being no intelligence failure in Saturday night’s bomb explosion at the German Bakery in Pune’s Koregaon area, Special Inspector General (IG) (Law and Order) Pune, Rashmi Shukla on Sunday confirmed that the city police had received intelligence inputs about the Jewish Chabad House and the Osho commune being targeted by terrorists.
“Intelligence reports were received on Jewish Chabad House following which units were sensitised,” Shukla said a day after nine people were killed and over 50 injured in the blast.
Addressing a press conference here, Shukla said investigating agencies were sifting through the explosive materials that had been used in the blast, and were waiting for a report from the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL).
“Its too early to give any lead into the blast. The moment we get any lead, we will come back to you,” she said.
When enquired about the death of foreign nationals, Shukla said: “One body is yet to be identified. It could be of a foreigner.”
She also rejected reports regarding another bag filled with explosives being recovered from the blast site.
“Only one bomb exploded at the German Bakery. No other suspicious bag was found as reported earlier,” Shukla said.
Earlier, talking to reporters after visiting the injured persons in the Sassoon Hospital here, Chidambaram had dismissed reports of ‘intelligence failure’ in connection with blast.
The improvised explosive device (IED), kept in a packet outside the kitchen of the German bakery, exploded at around 7.30 in evening on Saturday when a waiter attempted to open it.
The German Bakery is a favourite food joint for foreigners, located close to the Osho Ashram, which is said to have been inspected by Pakistani American terror suspect David Coleman Headley more than two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez