Jigna Vora still in prison, bail formalities not over
Mumbai: Three days after journalist Jigna Vora got bail in the case related to murder of fellow scribe Jyotirmoy Dey, she is yet to come out of prison, as formalities were not complete by this evening.
The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) Court, on July 27, granted bail to Vora; eight months after she was arrested for alleged complicity in Dey`s murder.
The Mumbai Press Club, in a statement today, welcomed the bail order and criticised Mumbai police in strong words. "The order vindicates the stand taken by the Press Club that crime reporter Vora had become a victim of the machinations of the Mumbai Police in `Operation Cover Up` after the slaying of senior journalist J Dey," it said.
Dey was killed, allegedly by the members of Chhota Rajan gang, on June 11, 2011. Following this, there was an outcry in the media about law and order situation and ham-handed investigation of the case, the Press Club said, adding that "by arresting Vora, the police seemed to be saying: "See, it was one of you. Don`t blame us", and now the "wheel had turned a full circle".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'