Join over Belgaum, Thackeray appeals to Maha MPs
Mumbai: In the backdrop of dissolution of
the Belgaum Corporation by Karnataka government, Shiv Sena
supremo Bal Thackeray on Sunday appealed all MPs from Maharashtra
to come together for the cause of merger of Marathi-speaking
areas with the state.
A delegation of the Maharashtra Ekikaran Samity (MES),
which was ruling the Belgaum municipality, called on Thackeray
at his residence tonight here.
The Sena patriarch appealed all MPs from the state to
submit a joint memorandum to the President and Prime Minister
for inclusion of Marathi-speaking areas like Belgaum and
Karwar that fall in Karnataka, into Maharashtra.
He also said the representatives of people from the state
should organise a massive rally in Delhi to press for the
Maharashtra and Karnataka have been at the loggerheads
over inclusion of Marathi-speaking areas in Karnataka with the
former. Belgaum, which has a sizable Marathi-speaking
population, has been a bone of contention between the two
"If needed Shiv Sena will call for a Maharashtra bandh on
this issue," Thackeray told the delegation.
Karnataka government recently superseded Belgaum
Corporation for not performing its functions in accordance
with the Karnataka Municipal Corporation Act 1976, and for
certain actions that "offended the sentiments" of the people.
The city mayor and deputy mayor had observed Karnataka
foundation day on November 1 as "black day". The civic body
had also passed a resolution stating that it will not hold
civic reception to honour the Jnanpith awardee Chandrasekhara
Kambara, which had triggered protest in other parts of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family