Join over Belgaum, Thackeray appeals to Maha MPs
Mumbai: In the backdrop of dissolution of
the Belgaum Corporation by Karnataka government, Shiv Sena
supremo Bal Thackeray on Sunday appealed all MPs from Maharashtra
to come together for the cause of merger of Marathi-speaking
areas with the state.
A delegation of the Maharashtra Ekikaran Samity (MES),
which was ruling the Belgaum municipality, called on Thackeray
at his residence tonight here.
The Sena patriarch appealed all MPs from the state to
submit a joint memorandum to the President and Prime Minister
for inclusion of Marathi-speaking areas like Belgaum and
Karwar that fall in Karnataka, into Maharashtra.
He also said the representatives of people from the state
should organise a massive rally in Delhi to press for the
Maharashtra and Karnataka have been at the loggerheads
over inclusion of Marathi-speaking areas in Karnataka with the
former. Belgaum, which has a sizable Marathi-speaking
population, has been a bone of contention between the two
"If needed Shiv Sena will call for a Maharashtra bandh on
this issue," Thackeray told the delegation.
Karnataka government recently superseded Belgaum
Corporation for not performing its functions in accordance
with the Karnataka Municipal Corporation Act 1976, and for
certain actions that "offended the sentiments" of the people.
The city mayor and deputy mayor had observed Karnataka
foundation day on November 1 as "black day". The civic body
had also passed a resolution stating that it will not hold
civic reception to honour the Jnanpith awardee Chandrasekhara
Kambara, which had triggered protest in other parts of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued