Jolt for Congress in Maha legislative council poll
Mumbai: Congress today suffered a setback losing two out of three seats it had contested in the biennial elections to Maharashtra Legislative Council, which it fought in alliance with the Sharad Pawar-led NCP.
Congress could retain only the Latur local bodies seat to which Dilip Deshmukh, younger brother of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, was re-elected for the third time, while lost Chandrapur and Amravati local bodies seats in the polls held on May 25 for six seats.
While retaining Amravati seat, BJP defeated Congress nominee Rahul Pugalia to claim Chandrapur seat as well, which was earlier held by an Independent.
On the other hand, Congress` alliance partner NCP retained Raigad seat and also won Parbhani which, though held by Congress, was allotted to NCP in the pre-poll understanding reached between the two parties.
Counting for the Nashik local bodies seat is still in progress, the state electoral office said.
Meanwhile, Congress sources said that certain "differences" at the district-level had led to the party`s defeat in Amravati.
"Ajay Navandar, an independent candidate had sought party ticket and was backed by local Congress MLAs in Amravati. However, the party leadership refused to nominate him and instead fielded Aniruddha Deshmukh, the district unit party chief. This led to certain differences at the district level and hence we lost the seat," a source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog