Jolt for Congress in Maha legislative council poll
Mumbai: Congress today suffered a setback losing two out of three seats it had contested in the biennial elections to Maharashtra Legislative Council, which it fought in alliance with the Sharad Pawar-led NCP.
Congress could retain only the Latur local bodies seat to which Dilip Deshmukh, younger brother of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, was re-elected for the third time, while lost Chandrapur and Amravati local bodies seats in the polls held on May 25 for six seats.
While retaining Amravati seat, BJP defeated Congress nominee Rahul Pugalia to claim Chandrapur seat as well, which was earlier held by an Independent.
On the other hand, Congress` alliance partner NCP retained Raigad seat and also won Parbhani which, though held by Congress, was allotted to NCP in the pre-poll understanding reached between the two parties.
Counting for the Nashik local bodies seat is still in progress, the state electoral office said.
Meanwhile, Congress sources said that certain "differences" at the district-level had led to the party`s defeat in Amravati.
"Ajay Navandar, an independent candidate had sought party ticket and was backed by local Congress MLAs in Amravati. However, the party leadership refused to nominate him and instead fielded Aniruddha Deshmukh, the district unit party chief. This led to certain differences at the district level and hence we lost the seat," a source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark