Journalist Dey met Dawood aide Iqbal Mirchi?
Mumbai: Mumbai police probing the killing of
senior journalist Jyotirmoy Dey on Sunday said that the reporter
might have met underworld don Dawood Ibrahim`s key aide
Iqbal Mirchi in April in London.
After the reporter`s murder, police initially had parried
questions whether Dey had met Iqbal Memon alias Iqbal Mirchi
in London during his visit there. The police did not even
confirm Memon`s presence in London.
However, with the recent arrest of Iqbal Mirchi in
London, the investigators would now try to find out if the
slain reporter had come in contact with Memon during his trip
to Europe in April, police said.
"Our probe indicates that Dey might have met Memon in
London during his visit in April. Chhota Rajan thought that
Dey had provided some information about him to Dawood`s aide
Memon and ordered his killing," an IPS official said.
Memon`s extradition would not only throw more light on
the journalist`s murder case but also other activities of
Dawood in foreign countries, the crime branch official added.
Dey (56), working with the city-based English tabloid
Mid Day, was shot dead by four motorcycle-borne assailants in
suburban Powai on June 11.
Police have arrested 10 members of the Rajan gang
including builder Vinod Asrani and have booked them under the
stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015