Journalist Dey met Dawood aide Iqbal Mirchi?
Mumbai: Mumbai police probing the killing of
senior journalist Jyotirmoy Dey on Sunday said that the reporter
might have met underworld don Dawood Ibrahim`s key aide
Iqbal Mirchi in April in London.
After the reporter`s murder, police initially had parried
questions whether Dey had met Iqbal Memon alias Iqbal Mirchi
in London during his visit there. The police did not even
confirm Memon`s presence in London.
However, with the recent arrest of Iqbal Mirchi in
London, the investigators would now try to find out if the
slain reporter had come in contact with Memon during his trip
to Europe in April, police said.
"Our probe indicates that Dey might have met Memon in
London during his visit in April. Chhota Rajan thought that
Dey had provided some information about him to Dawood`s aide
Memon and ordered his killing," an IPS official said.
Memon`s extradition would not only throw more light on
the journalist`s murder case but also other activities of
Dawood in foreign countries, the crime branch official added.
Dey (56), working with the city-based English tabloid
Mid Day, was shot dead by four motorcycle-borne assailants in
suburban Powai on June 11.
Police have arrested 10 members of the Rajan gang
including builder Vinod Asrani and have booked them under the
stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!