Journalist gang-rape: Court wants to conclude case in 2 months
Mumbai: The sessions court trying the Mumbai photojournalist`s gang-rape case on Monday set a deadline for itself saying it would try to conclude the hearing in 60 days.
"We will try to conclude the case in 60 days," the court said while adjourning the matter till September 26.
Three accused - Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali and Salim Ansari - were produced before principal judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi. The fourth accused Siraj Rehman Khan was not produced before the court, which directed that he should also be brought on the next date of hearing.
The fifth accused in the case, who is a minor, has been sent to juvenile remand home.
When the court enquired if the accused had hired their lawyers, Jadhav replied in the negative and agreed to go for a lawyer from the legal-aid panel.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam is also likely to open the case before the court on the next date of hearing.
The young photojournalist was gang-raped by the five accused when she had gone to the deserted Shakti Mills compound in central Mumbai on August 22 with a male colleague on assignment. The accused had tied up the victim`s male companion with belts and then raped her.
Meanwhile, a magistrate`s court today extended the police custody of the Jadhav, Bangali, Ansari and one Mohammed Sheikh till September 27, in another case of gang-rape.
An 18-year-old telephone operator had been allegedly gangraped by five men, including Jadhav, Bangali and Ansari, at the Shakti Mills on July 31. The fifth accused in the case is a minor.
Giving an idea of the brutal nature of the crime in the operator gangrape case, the crime branch said in the remand application that before raping the victim the accused had stuffed a cloth in her mouth, then taken her near the bushes (in Shakti Mill) and raped her by turns.
The crime branch told the court today that they have recovered two mobile phones from the accused and they have to recover Rs 2,500 that the accused had stolen from the operator. On September 19, the crime branch had filed a 600-page chargesheet against the four accused in the photojournalist gang-rape case.
The accused have been charge-sheeted under IPC Sections 506 (2) (criminal intimidation), 376(d) (gang-rape), 377 (unnatural offence), 342 (wrongful confinement), 341 (wrongful restraint), 201 (destruction of evidence) and 120(b) (criminal conspiracy), and 34 (common intention).
The chargesheet consists details of the victim`s statement, in which she narrated her ordeal, statements of 86 witnesses, forensic evidence collected from the spot, DNA analysis reports, besides the phone call records.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in